This housing group in Chatham, Kent, is looking for an Assistant Director of Development and Regeneration.
Location : Chatham, Kent
Job closing date : 26/06/2017
Interview date: Week commencing 03/07/2017
Salary : £68,500 + £5,582 car allowance
Contract type : Permanent
Team : Development
Hours : 37
- To provide effective leadership to a multi-disciplined technical team primarilyresponsible for the development of new homes and community regeneration.
- Working with the Asset team’s regular assessment of stock condition to inform long term property development and investment plan.
- Create innovative approaches to maximise the impact we have in communities and neighbourhoods, aiming to secure additional regeneration benefits and sustainability
- Seek out external finance and grant opportunities to support the corporate growth and regeneration strategies.
- Create, maintain and update comprehensive financial and performance reports.
- Accurately contribute to the organisation’s asset, liabilities and property records.
- Procure construction services and consultancy services across all professional disciplines to deliver outcomes that improve and sustain our neighbourhoods.
- Ensure that the organisation’s policies are adhered to, in particular Equality & Diversity and Health &Safety Policy.
- To provide strategic overview and advice to the Group and the Board in respect of development.
- To contribute to the formulation and delivery of the Strategic Plan and to generate strategic thinking on new approaches and challenges.
- To deputise for the Executive Director on all areas of their responsibility.
- Be an effective external ambassador for mhs homes.
- Represent the organisation at strategic meetings with other partner agencies, public organisations, regulators and funders.
- Provide strategic leadership and work collaboratively with other Assistant Directors to ensure that strategic priorities are delivered across the organisation.
- Lead on key strategic projects/portfolios as requested by the Executive Team.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Ensure that the Development Team operates efficiently and effectively on construction targets.
- Ensure appropriate mechanisms for monitoring and evaluating the performance of key external partners.
- Deliver a high quality customer centred service, meeting our core housing and neighbourhood objectives.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of both individuals and the team to align with operational and strategic objectives
- Ensure management information systems provide suitable planning and performance monitoring tools to inform the investment expenditure programme and maintain high standards across all the housing stock and related assets.
- Comply with the organisation’s Asset Management, Procurement, and other strategies and policies.
- Regularly review and update the development policy to deliver an integrated and coherent approach consistent with corporate objectives which represent value for money.
- Be accountable for the sound financial performance of the Development and Community Regeneration team.
- Ensure budgets are set, reviewed and that all costs are managed within the agreed budgetary framework, maximising funding opportunities for services.
- Be an effective participant in the Leadership Team to enable the organisation to meet its objectives.
Qualifications & Training:
Degree-level or professional qualification is desirable.
- Experience of undertaking risk analysis, management and reporting.
- Significant experience of service and business monitoring and performance management.
- Significant experience of managing significant budgets and resources.
- Experience of developing and implementing strategies.
- Experience of bidding for and securing grant funding for development and regeneration schemes.
- Experience of developing stock investment proposals and undertaking options appraisals for sites.
- Experience of using and reporting through key systems such as IMS, scheme appraisal systems and finance/cash flows.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Highly numerate and able to articulate information to varied audiences in both written & verbal presentation.
- Ability to manage complex development and regeneration projects through the use of strong time management and organisational and programme management skills.
- Excellent people management skills evidenced through challenge and control of dynamic teams.
- Authority and credibility to build relationships influence and engage successfully with colleagues and partners at all levels in complex or politically sensitive situations.
- Knowledge of construction and development processes and current advances in the housing development sector.
- Ability to effectively contribute to corporate, departmental and management objectives and work effectively with peers.
- Knowledge and experience different vehicles to develop new homes (e.g. Joint Ventures, Special Purpose Vehicle etc.).
- Excellent time management skills to manage a complex workload, prioritise and set deadlines and cope with conflicting and changing demands.
- Ability to make clear decisions on complex issues.
- Performance-driven – determination to drive the service forward.
- Challenging – willing to take the lead and drive rather than follow.
- Commitment to Equality and Diversity and delivering appropriate services to the community.
- Perform effectively at business/external functions with Leadership Team, Board Members and stakeholders.
- Flexible in approach to hours worked and willing to attend events and meetings out of hours during the evening and at weekends.
- Ability to assess the risks associated with lone working and other health and safety hazards associated with the technical nature of the job, including the ability to communicate and report unassessed risks to others.